View Single Post
      01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #50
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1k0ne View Post
yea, it's no joke. i would recommend using a heat gun and heat up the area before doing it
+1 - the adhesive they use needs to be warmed up. I tried doing this in the cold (~45°F) and it wouldn't move, even after I got the plastic pry bar behind it.

Took the wifes hair dryer (I mean heat gun) and fanned it over the area for a few minutes to let it get nice and warm. After maybe 2-3 minutes it was super easy. Just started at the top (Msport bumper) and put a nice constant pressure with my thumb while supporting the back with the rest of my fingers (so that it wasn't just deflecting the bumper). Once you start to pull it loose you can keep blowing the hot air directly on the adhesive and it should come off very nicely. Then I just used the L shaped plastic prybar to nicely roll off the rest of the adhesive.

If I would've added heat from the beginning it would've taken 5 minutes. Spent 30 minutes thinking I could just pry it which was a mistake. You could actually see the bumper deflecting under the force of the prybar behind it.

Also be very careful around the outer edge, the paint doesn't go all the way into the hole and as a result it's very easy to chip or damage if you touch it.