View Single Post
      12-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #72
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Holy shit this thread is totally assanine. How they hell do you argue that it's OK to drive faster because you're an awesome driver, your car is safe and any other BS excuse you come up with? It's an F-ing law. It's not a suggestion. It's not optional. It's the damn law. Break the law, suffer consequences.

Here's the rub - the bigger issue (on US roads) is the speed differential. You may be a spectacular driver, but you have no clue what's going on behind the wheels of all of those other cars around you. You'll quickly learn the limits of your skills, your tires' adhesion and physics if they do something you didn't anticipate.

The reason this isn't an issue in Germany is the fact that everyone in Germany actually earned their licenses and the actually, wait for it, follow the rules. No BS egocentric crap like closing the gap so cars can't merge, no passing on the right, no brake checks. They do it right. They know how things need to be done and they do it. You CAN have big speed differentials because the drivers all know to be aware of what's going on around them. Americans are too self-absorbed to ever be capable of this sort of thing. Because, you know, they're above following the rules...

Now, do I drive the speed limit all the time? Rarely. Do I stay right, pass left, yield the right of away every time I should - you're damn right I do. Be safe. Use your head. Don't be a dick feeding the elitest prick stereotype BMW drivers have to live with.
Appreciate 0