03-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I think at comfortable street driving you can get away with it but what if the dude takes real hard turns on the street as if he were on the track? I personally would never put just springs on. I mean BMW engineers the springs rates with the shock it goes with. If you are nowhere near the limts how would one know what the true handling capabilities are in stock form? Less body roll from springs is just a false sense of better handling.

To each his own though.
I am speaking from 15 years of modifying a variety of cars.

I have never had a bad experience with modest drops on stock struts on the street or the few time I autox'd those cars. The only bad experience I ever had was Intrax, I was 16 and they lowered more than any other spring. They killed my Konis. But, Koni rebuilt the struts, custom valved to match my new Eibachs in fact.

Springs that are more aggressive can prematurely kill stock struts fairly quick. Also each car, the stiffness and build quality of the stock strut has an impact as to its ability to handle the aftermarket springs. I.e. I would trust the f30 sport to last longer and handle better than the base struts to handle the after market springs.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0