View Single Post
      02-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #86
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
I know what you're trying to say, but you're on a slippery slope.

Very difficult to argue what someone needs. To a New Yorker in Manhattan, South Shore Boston, or Inner Loop Chicago, they could argue that you don't need a car at all. However, someone in LA, or even Birmingham may say it is a necessity; this is perspective.

Same goes for value. This is what you're hinging your argument on, but all transactions are not a value proposition. Some transactions can simply be a want. Some wants can masquerade as needs, based on perspective; that word again...

To someone with fund liquidity, a Ford, whatever, may not even exist to them. To someone who just works hard, got a good education, has a nice job; that BMW could be more than a want. It could also be more than a symbol to a car enthusiast. To them, the BMW is an opportunity. That opportunity is to do whatever the hell they want.

Also, the cliché "you can't take it with you" is kinda silly. Taking it with you following death; who cares? This is about living to the fullest in the time we have here.

Why haven't I run out and bought that 911 GT3? Good question, but likely so I'll get to still live nicely once I'm gone through my son.
How am I on a "slippery slope"? You have no idea about my fiscal outlay.

I'll give you this one, you can't say what someone "needs". But I can gurantee nobody actually "requires" a luxury sedan, they are a waste of money no matter how you swing it.

If they have amassed a large sum of "liquid funds", then they don't need to worry about fuel.
Appreciate 0