02-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
I read somewhere that FM was due to be switched off around 2015, however the adoption rate for DAB has been slow, so the switch off has been delayed to around 2020. Not a concern for most of us.

Interesting point about DAB being worse than FM, I always thought DAB was suppose to be way better than FM purely because it's digital!
Digital generally does terrible things to sound. It took the best audio engineers 25 years to produce a high-end CD player that could finally give a performance as rich, full-bodied and emotionally satisfying as a mid-range record player. The best CD players will now make your hair stand on end, make you smile or weep as convincingly as a top-notch record player.

That's wonderful news if you love music and, better still, many mid-priced CD players will now do the same. But don't forget that there is nothing natural about digital. Quite the opposite. Sound is created in the analogue world and our ears and brains interpret it in the same analogue world. To digitise sound is to bugger it up almost irretrievably. And if you drop the bandwidth too low in the process, then no amount of engineering genius will ever get the tears or smiles back. Gone forever.

And FM will be turned off at some point, although I can't really see it happening in 2015, as DAB uptake is still too low. It'll be sad when it happens.
Appreciate 0