shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
For those of us who still don't quite understand the intricacies of coding, what does "removing" and "adding" a CAFD file mean.

Does the removed file represent a control unit or option that is no longer supported? What if your car has one of the now-unsupported devices?

On the other hand, does adding new files mean that there's new hardware that isn't in an older car that is now codeable? Or, maybe that existing hardware now has newly exposed functionality?

I often see people asking here for "missing" CAFD files. Does that mean they have hardware they cannot access for coding until they acquire the file?
Once released, I have no idea why BMW ever removes a CAFD file from subsequent releases, but for some reason, not often, some drop out. The affected modules are still supported, just not at that firmware version. If you have a module that is currently using an orphaned CAFD, you need to either find the CAFD file from an older PSdZData release, or somehow get the car programmed so that module gets it's firmware updated. The latter is better, but is never the easiest.

The added CAFD's are for existing modules with newer firmware, or entirely new modules for new Chassis or Model Year changes.

If you are missing a CAFD, E-Sys [C012] error, you can not code the module.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 11-20-2012 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0