View Single Post
      12-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #303
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by simnew View Post
I think you guys are really over-reacting. The US has never liked hatch backs and in fairness to the rest of the world, they are globally rather popular.

I think its a well resolved design apart from the strange vent on the side (and this will be on the coupe too) and looks both sporty and elegant in both trims and certainly more distinctive than the saloon. It has a coupe roofline and has good proportions. Of course it is a 'niche' model and that is necessary because all the big german brands are so popular now, they are no longer exclusive like they used to be.

And let us remember, the reason this is happening is because of customer demand - if you think a world manufacturer goes into producing this kind of vehicle without the necessary research you are kidding yourself. Did people say this about the CLS when it came out ? Some thought is looked like a bannana, but in the end, it proved highly successful and is the most distinctive of all Mercs !
Your opinion is respected.
Unlike most of my fellow Americans, I like hatchbacks.
I think the A3 looks really cool and the new one, to us, looks great as well.
It has nice proportions and I love the Audi quattro drive system.

But, this 3GT has some odd lines to my eye. It appears to rise in the rear, and the side crease accentuates that. It accentuates what is already looking like a bulbous butt. To us a more 'murcan word, it's got a badonkadonk, but not in a pleasant way.
That's just one thing that strikes me.

This whole thing about making sedans "look" like coupes is silly to me. It's not just BMW, other manufacturers are doing it too, some with greater success than others.
Why is it silly? Well, in my opinion, if you want a coupe, then get the coupe. If you want a sedan, you know which one to get. If you need a sport wagon, BMW already has your 3 for that as well.
So, it begs the question of the need for this "coupe" like sedan that is not a wagon but is trying to serve that need while looking simply like a sedan with a hatchback, but it's not really a hatchback as it's supposed to seen as a coupe like sedan.

Perhaps the problem may be is that the styling looks confused as it doesn't really know what it wants to be, and thus it's trying to a bit of everything.
The original CLS shape and design was not this confused, and neither is the A7, or even the VW CC.
This GT doesn't really "cross" designs so much as it slams into all of them in a not so elegant way.

I don't mind different models for different niches, but perhaps BMW shouldn't name it a 3 "GT", and also not make it look like a 3 series either. I'm sure they could be more creative and give different niche models their own distinct look instead of looking like a genetically odd 3 series.
If this is a new and/or different model for a different niche, then make it look like that, and not like a 3 series.

Yes,the side vent, or whatever it is, is AWFUL looking. It looks like the designer felt compelled to put it there for whatever reason. It doesn't look cool, nor does it's shape relate to anything on the car. So, why?

Perhaps this is not so much Americans not liking hatchbacks as much as BMW 3 series fans not wanting this to look so related to the 3 series. Some comments do sound as if the poster thinks this GT will replace the sedan/saloon, and that's not true. I understand that BMW is simply trying to advance it's market share.
As I said, I like hatchbacks, and if this GT is supposed to be some odd coupe like sedan hatchback, then I'm not getting it.

As others have said, I'll also reserve final judgement after seeing it in person. Maybe it will look better as some cars do look better in 3 dimensions.

Question: Is the top/roof of the GT higher than the sedan at it's peak?
It appears to be a taller vehicle than the sedan.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-03-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0