View Single Post
      11-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I know I do this all the time... and I currently own 3 BMWs (4 total life time) and been around BMW cars for nearly 35 years, but I find this quote quite interesting when it comes to hybrids:

"Throughout automotive history, BMW has been globally recognized for engineering and manufacturing world-class products. They are a proven technology leader and renowned for conceiving and delivering groundbreaking innovations."

Any of the hybrid driveline parts BMW may supply under this agreement are far from world class and technology-leading. Despite what BMW may want you to think, BMW is so far from any leadership position regarding hybrid technology it is laughable. While GM, Honda, Toyota were developing hybrid driveline technology (Toyota's basically derived from 1970's TRW-Automotive technology) 15 - 20 years ago, BMW was the industry leader in paying the highest fines to the EPA for not meeting CAFE regulations. If you want to really find an innovative hybrid drivetrain go look that the Chevy Volt I and now Gen II drivetrain; both recognized by the Society of Automotive engineers as one the most complex drivetrain used in a production vehicle.

To wit just a few innovations: the electric starter, fuel injection, HID head lamps, air bags, ABS, direct fuel injection, Atkinson Cycle, VTEC (VANOS), blah blah blah, none developed nor introduced into production vehicles by BMW.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0