View Single Post
      05-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
pablobaq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F34

My new White GT 335 with "carbon fiber" roof bike rack

Hi all, I just wanted to share with you some pics of my new White GT. This car has really given me the excitement of driving back, without sacrificing on the functionality of an SUV that I need for my family.
The car sounds great with the 6cil engine, and the xdrive really makes the car sturdy and "on rails" while cornering.
Here are a couple of pics when I picked up the car:

Since Im an Avid mountain biker, the next step was to get the roof rack for the GT. But I wanted something a little more muted that the OEM BMW Aluminum racks:

I purchased online some carbon fiber vinyl wrap and started the process:

This is not very difficult, but you need to take your time to do it right. Nowadays all the vinyls come with a bubble release feature that makes it easy to apply without the annoying bubbles, just use a credit card or squeegee. I also wrapped the bike rack, which is a little more challenging because of the curved aluminum extrusion.

This is how it looks at the end: Pretty happy with the outcome. BTW, the wife's hairdryer will work wonders molding the wrap in complex surfaces... Just don't tell her you snagged it

The muted look of the carbon fiber really makes the roof rack and bike carrier really cool:

Ok, so then to installation on the GT:

The install is pretty easy and if you are somewhat handy, you wont have a problem getting it installed.

I really like how the roof rack looks on the car. Its definitely a taste thing, some might not like it, but for me its an A+

I check fitment of my other love and the rack actually holds the bike pretty solidly:

Here are a couple more pics of the car with bike on:

If somebody has any questions, please feel free to ask.
Hope you enjoyed the pics. My next mod: painting the kidney grills black.
Cheers!
Appreciate 3