View Single Post
      02-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #63
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
BMW is just doing wht they originally did. Back in 1979, there was a car called M535i......
I also remember, as a child, seeing many "M323i"s on the roads. Now, that was in the days of the E21 & way before anything called M635CSi or M5 was on sale.
The original brief for the M-car was sth that performs like a sports car but with the look & practicality of a standard family car. A lot of the extra bits such as steering wheel, suspension etc. were available in the accessories catalogue, now they're just marketing them separately.
Right, I forgot to mention in my previous post that the E12 also had a 'M535' in 1979. I also noticed growing up in Europe that a large number of Bmw's were debadged and had ///M logos on the trunklids and side moldings.... I don’t know why everyone is making such a big deal about it now
Bmw Motorsport is a powerful brand name, and Bmw is just taking advantage of that fact by offering every Bmw owner the possibility of having ///M products on their cars...Theyve been doing it for over 30 years.
Appreciate 0