*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7 View Post
I was wondering about this....so the glossifier is just some kind of gloss finish (likely no different than other clear gloss acrylic spray) that relies on the plastidip for its removal properties?

Side-note, I did some tests over the weekend on my current e90 in anticipation of taking delivery of my F30 in the coming weeks and hoping i can get somewhere close to the shadowline trim.

First dipped my mirrors in black plastidip, then tried one with 3 coats of glossifier and the other with 6 coats -- cant say they look all that different.

Do you think additional coats of glossifier would do anything?

Another question -- if the glossifier is not "safe" for direct application to a car's paint but the plastidip protects it - could you try some other type of gloss black spray to get a deeper/pearlier black closer to the shadowline trim color?
It only takes 3-4 Coats to cover the pores the dipped mirror caps.
After that, it won't make it anymore shiner, except that it might run or over saturate. You might want to stick with 3-4 even coats to save the Glossifier for other applications :P

The reason why i do not suggest to use Glossifier alone in a UNDIPPED because, it is very thin like 5-9x thinner to the Original Dip and Very hard to get an Even finish Compared to a Normal Plasti Dip.
IMO, to get an even finish which you have to compensate to applying alot of coats might end up Eating the Original Clear Coat of the car.

The Closest way that you are going to get a shadowline finish is either
Black Gloss - Black over Glossifier
Or
Satin Black - Mixed with 50/50 of clear dip and gloss dip on a ALREADY dipped surface.

If you use a Pearlizer + Glossifier on a black dipped surface, it would end up close to a Saphire Black Metalic Finish
If you use a Metalizer on a Dipped Surface, it will end up either Silver Like/ or Copper Like depending what metalizer you get,

Last edited by Teemo Panda; 05-20-2013 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0