gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
No. They used to focus on those things. But, then they found that a nice even collision is not anywhere near as catastrophic as one that is offset.

This is a huge blow to BMW. BMW focused on finding a way to give nearly all of the electronic gizmos available on the 7 and the 5 to the
3. Worse, BMW shaved away structural weight in the name of Eco pro and other nonsense.

Now, while it is true your little 4 banger beats the old model's 6, and it's true that the new model goes from 0 to 60 a tad faster, it is equally true that there was a hidden compromise and that was the safety of the BMW occupants.

All you 3 series owners that bought this car before the offset tests were actually performed have been duped! You probably never even asked about safety because BMW goes to great lengths to tout the 3 series as one of the safest cars on earth. But it is not and objective tests prove it is not even close to the safest car in its class.

Look at the intrusion in these tests. It is horrible!!! If I were owner of a 3 series I would be pissed! The fact that this is a new test does not impress me. It only goes to show that BMW makes cars to pass particular set of tests. BMW should worry about the real world.

Driving while texting just got a lot more lethal thanks to BMW.
As a current F30 owner, I have to disagree. I do not feel duped and in fact, feel quite safe in my 328i. True, on this new test, the F30 did not perform that well, but the other cars that I would considering buying, the Audi and the Merc did even worse. If you watch the crash, the upper parts of the body are well protected and there is little movement. Frankly, if I can leave a crash as severe as this one with broken legs/ankles and no chest or head trauma, I would feel pretty lucky.

I highly doubt that older models would perform better than the F30 in this test. The weight difference between the E90 and F30 has little to do with why the F30 did poorly in this test. Crash tests are all about crumple zones, not weight. Obviously, the F30's crumple zone in this test is poorly designed for the footwell. I am sure that in future models, BMW will keep this test in mind as they design their cars.
Appreciate 0