View Single Post
      02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #53
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
No one said it takes anything away from the driving experience of the car. What I am personally saying (can't speak for others) is that the "driving aspect", the magical essence, the unsurpassed sporty character of a BMW has been largely neglected. These hideous BMW commercials have become so lame, techie-oriented, and have veered so far off the BMW 3 series core message (ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE), that they now are trying so hard, to appeal so a very pedestrian demograph, with simplistic gadgetry-commercials - which by the way, a game Toyota, Honda, Audi, MB, Cadillac and their cousins are also capable of playing, and playing very well - perhaps even beating BMW.

It just seems to me like a bunch of corporate execs sitting in front of a big screen power point presentation, voting on which commercial they think would move more cars. A campaign, devoid of any true BMW character.

Ok, I'm not even sure how to respond to that. I would venture to say that very few members on this board have racing on their mind 24/7, or have even raced their car at all (teenie boppers - maybe). Anyway, you're still missing the point. It is very possible to appeal to more people, AND make great commercials ALL WHILE keeping your loyal customers engaged and excited AND sticking to your core message, outlining and highlighting what makes your product unique. It just takes creativity, and an unyielding belief in your product (not an unyielding belief in sales and numbers).

Any other car company can load their grocery movers with technology, luxury, and sell them cheaper than BMW ... no one but BMW can make a 3 series.

The competition is wiser:

1. Buick (FREAKIN BUICK!):

2. Cadillac

And that is why if you were the CEO or the decision maker, the company would not see any progress.

Believe it or not, people do buy BMWs simply for getting groceries. How many commercial should there be geared towards the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. If you notice something, the UDM characteristics have not changed based on the reviews...so why focus on that entirely. These commercials were made to be fun, and they have done a very good job relaying that. And honestly, they also SELL some of the features the car is offering. I, for one, loved especially the keyless trunk entry because I can remember many times when my hands are filled with bags of groceries and have to put on the ground in order to open the trunk.

Certainly there are things to complain about with BMW, but complaining about common sense features?

How about complaining about the stupid hood cut line. those retarded looking headlights(not the technology, but shape). The stupid looking front bumper on the new 3 series. The fact that BMW's cars do not look as if you have ARRIVED compared to Mercedes. How about complaining about the ugly lines on many modern day BMW where BMW's HOD tries to tell us why these cars look good instead of allowing the car to speak for themselves

I yearn for a BMW where you look at it first glance and the looks is captivating. For example the pre-LCI e90. My biggest problem is that BMW does not make SLEEK looking cars anymore. Cars that need no drop because the factory stance on BMWs have always been great. These new cars look like 4x4. It seems BMW has lost that signature dip when it comes to a stop, rather you get that nose dive as if the car is front heavy.
Appreciate 0