View Single Post
      11-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
0-60 is the least interesting time. 20-40, 40-60, 40-100, 60-90, 50-70 ... these are all real times and the 330D would ... leave the 328i for dead ... at any of those measures in any gear As I said before, other than on full reheat at 5000rpm+, the 330D would beat the 335i at any of those measures BHP is all talk but torque is fo' real

The world has changed ... and for the better. Modern diesels are better in almost every way compared to their petrol counterparts Do they sounds as good? Certainly not when a petrol is on cam. Do they make the back of your neck tingle? Nope. Are they as quick on full afterburner? Rarely. But in every other way they're the superior engine And mine arrives at he dealer on Monday
I agree that the incremental times 'in-gear' or 'through the gears' are what matter. Diesels have made the whole feeling much more relaxed, but not always 'better' performance in real terms, when we compare a similar output petrol vs diesel.

What has changed the drive feel IMO, is our more common use of auto boxes. If we plant the loud pedal in full auto, each engine will be more likely in the power band for the particular engine, differences get more blurred than ever.

It is not like in a manual box, where 'in-gear' times are so much more noticed and pronounced. Particularly if we are not in the best gear.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0