View Single Post
      11-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

I owned a MKV GTI with DSG. While I agree that the exhaust note was better in the GTI, the rest of the package (stock for stock) in the 328i is head and shoulders better.

If you test drove a car without adaptive suspension, then the sport mode did not change handling. A car with Luxury package will not handle as well as one with Sport, and not as well as one with M Adaptive. The suspension is softer, as are the tires. Having said that I have some seat time in a base model 328i on the track, and a ton of seat time in the GTI on the track, and I was impressed with the base model.

One difference is the jump from fwd to rwd. It is a huge improvement in handling dynamics. But the 328i is bigger and heavier than the GTI so it may not feel as nimble. They are two very different cars oriented toward very different drivers.

Regarding quality my GTI rattled, squeaked, groaned and had parts breaking constantly, from day one. The 328i is much more solidly built and the overall quality of the materials on the BMW are much higher. So I respectfully disagree with your assessment, but respect the difference of opinion.

Finally I personally found the DSG in the GTI to be awful. It was disobedient and thought for itself, even in manual mode. On the track and autocross course it was a disaster. In fact the DSG was one of the main reasons I sold the GTI - I desperately wanted to go back to a manual. On the track the 8 speed in the 328i (my car is a MT, but I drove a student's car at a driver's school) was much more accurate and predictable. It also shifted more smoothly and more consistently did what I wanted it to do. And as good at the DSG is, a real automatic transmission will always be smoother in daily driving.

In considering your purchase, accept that the BMW is a different car designed for a different buyer. It will feel larger and heavier, which it is. But I think the overall experience with the BMW is better and you should be happy with it.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0