07-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #27
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhercoso
I was driving home and then got a drive train malfunction warning on the car so I started to pull over to the side of the road. As I was pulling over there was a loud bang. Next thing I know it feels like I was dragging something SUPER heavy. Once I made it to the side of the road the car then completely shut off and died. I did have a jb4 on the car and before I took it to the dealer I had gotten it taken off. The only thing BMW told me was that the software was tampered with so they weren't going to cover the cost of the engine. Tried to get more info from BMW but they wouldn't tell me anything else.
Ok, so you have a JB4. Which one? I think based on your profile you have the N20 engine. So that leaves you with either the stage 1 only, or the map changeable stage 2. If you had stage 2 and you didn't uninstall or clear the codes before taking the JB4 off, I could see them finding out. Since your car seems to of died because the engine was being overworked and over heated, then they could prove you had a tune that did damage the parts that were broken. Now what I don't get is you telling us that they denied you and didn't give you a reason. See you said this was 25 grand. Unless your some rich kid that lives off of mommy and daddy or you have some ultimate money making job, 25k is a lot of money. The dealer would have sat you down and went over what was found and explain to you why your warranty was voided. They wouldn't just tell you no and make you leave. You have a legal right to that information. To my point of 25k being a lot. I know I personally would have been screaming and kicking until I got to the bottom of things. I wouldn't have left out of there without knowing ALL the facts so I could figure a legal way around it.

Now if you coded your car, that wouldn't have caused the engine to blow up (talking about coding it to close mirrors and such). So I wouldn't even worry about that. Plus you can deny it and say a guy at bmw did it for you.

What I would like to know honestly is the truth. If you really did blow the motor, what were you doing when it happened. What did BMW say the root cause was? Were you racing and using your paddle shifters to late at redline rpms?
Appreciate 0