View Single Post
      11-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #276
poyzun
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

i have an e30 325i, e90 328i with sport package, and drove the f30 328i for about 1,500 miles.

The e30 is raw, and gives me this cool nostalgic feel when I drive it. The best part about this car is getting into the driver's seat and hearing the engine crank and come to life. Offering just the right amount of vibrations and a perfect tone, it puts me in another time and it's a blast to drive around a tight track or the canyons.

The e90 is another car I just love to drive. My favorite thing about this car is the *steering feel* and how perfectly weighted it is. The engine kind of bores me and I don't prefer the noise it emits but the ability to oversteer and control it with a smile on my face outweighs that negative.

The f30 was given to me as a loaner and I absolutely loved the motor. The steering on the other hand left me very disappointed. It's too numb, and generally I would say "throw some coilovers on it and stop bitching" but I don't think there is much hope with the electronic steering.

What has BMW done wrong here? Not much. But they may have overdone it on the comfort side of things. I think they need to find a middle-ground of where they want their cars to be. In an ideal world, I wish we could bring the aura of an e30 into a chassis of an e90 with the design of the f30 but that would never happen. Environmental regulations will make it so we will probably never see a high output straight six again. BMW is targeting a middle class person that purchases a BMW as a sign of status with their non-M 3 series line up, and I feel that the M is headed that way shortly, but we'll find out in 2014.
Appreciate 0