View Single Post
      12-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #58
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I find looking back and trying to analyse the history, from our own perspective, very interesting.

I was introduced to BMW when my father bought a used 'New Class' 2000 sedan in 1971. It was the German engineering, compared to our British car industry offerings, which really stood out.

I worked in the motor trade in the 70's, primarily with what is now viewed as premium models, (although we didn't use the term back then), Rover, Range Rover and Triumph.

What was important to many users, was having cars tuned to UK roads. Cars like the Triumph Dolomite Sprint held their ground against the BMW E21, both for much cheaper costs, better performance and standard equipment. Even into the era of the E36, the Rover 416GTi blurred the edges for UK driving, the E36 was 'just' the better car, but showed how suspension tuning for the UK has a black art of its own. UK suspension engineers, including Ford's at the time, had the edge. BMW suspensions couldn't cope as well with broken surfaces, and this was ahead of the sport suspension. Turned folks off, as ride comfort was viewed as compromised.

Back to earlier days, with my background in British setups, my first drive in a BMW E12 5-series, opened my eyes to what an 'engineered' car could do. Knocked the best of the British cars into touch. It was everything about the BMW, the total package, a well engineered, quality product which drove and rode well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpea View Post
Where things started to cross from driver focused cars to more mass market really started around 2001 when the E46 was exploding in the US for BMW and BMW NA first started having influence to effect the Munich headquarters. First I recall was the lightening of the steering in the E46 mid cycle that was from an outcry of recently new BMW buyers who said it was too hard to turn at slow speeds (i.e. the parking lot). It could very well be BMW NA that has pushed the issue and caused the problem.

I think smaller basic cars, now the 1, 2 and possibly 3 series, RWD with an affordable ZSP package tuned to non run flats, with a little pep and driver focused steering and suspension feel is all that is required to keep the enthusiast happy.
The E36 was designed to widen the market, the larger cabin being a key part of that approach. The E46 certainly opened the appeal.

I believe from the E46 onwards, users wanted more from the cars. Driver appeal wasn't enough, as other marques could offer more, with just a little less focus on the driver. Audi a case in point. Bread and butter models dull to drive, but as a package, great appeal. BMW have responded to the market and produce the goods they do today.

My dealer has been with BMW since 1971. The owner (until this autumn when he sold out to retire), has been with BMW from the beginning of his career, along side his father in the early days. He's a car enthusiast and he reckoned the F30 when released, made the biggest changes "for the better" than any previous generation had done. That surprised me, but he was adamant that the cars coming out of BMW today are the best cars ever, from a customer perspective.

That says a lot about the current market place, (however we like it or not), from a guy who's been selling BMW for over 40-years.
Appreciate 2
jeffc83725.00