gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Please don't. There is little so obnoxious, and so laughably pathetic, as a newly minted lawyer with only a bit of theoretical book understanding and no experience.

Polite, firm, and appropriately accommodating will obtain what you want.
I would have totally agreed with you a few years ago. However, recently I have noticed that being polite gets me nowhere. As odd as it sounds, I am a lawyer that dislikes confrontation and try to avoid it whenever possible. I think all problems can be worked out amicably. I don't know if it is because I am perceived as kind or a pushover, but until I am threatening to sue, nothing gets done. I agree, you have to choose your battles wisely and you shouldn't immediately say, "I am a lawyer and am going to sue," but as a last resort, I am never afraid to prepare a lawsuit to get what I need done.

For example, I recently purchased a new Porsche 911 and the car was delivered in March without options that I paid for and were on the sticker. It was a total manufacturing screwup by Porsche, which I thought was unacceptable for a car with a sticker price of over $140,000. However, my dealer told me that he contacted Porsche and that they would have the parts for me in 8-10 weeks. I waited ten weeks and nothing. So I contacted my dealer who again told me there was nothing that they could do, Porsche just says they will be "on their way." I wrote letters and called Porsche NA and haven't even gotten a response. Thus, now, I find no other option but a lawsuit. I am not afraid to use my training and expertise to get what I deserve, the options that I have paid cash for, but have not received.

To the OP, it is never a good idea to use the lawyer card right off the bat, I totally agree. However, you have spent three years in law school and will most likely pass the bar, you have earned the right to properly defend yourself in getting what you ordered and paid for.
Appreciate 0