10-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #41
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge
I've been driving my Audi S5 more often recently before I put it away, so to speak, for the winter. The one thing I've noticed going back and forth between the Audi and the BMW is the steering feel of the BMW, the Audi is much better. The GT, on the other hand, is really light, almost '70s Buick light! Definitely noticeable.

However, I haven't noticed a lag time or wallowing and I, too, have the MPPK installed. Living in SE Ohio, we have some really nice winding country roads and the GT takes them almost as good if not as good as the Audi S5.

I'm overall very pleased with my purchase. The GT rides very well, handles well, and is fun to drive. It also meets my space requirements.

However, with that being said, some of the BMW's idiosyncrasies are beginning to wear on me. Starting the car is like starting an airplane with all of the buttons that have to be pushed. For example: Start, turn off AC, open outside mirrors (which should automatically open when you put the car in "Drive"), and drop transmission to "Comfort-Pro" (something I usually do but doesn't have to be done). These are the steps I basically do every time I start the car. I know I can have the dealer code the AC off feature and might see about having that done. With the Audi, I start the car, put it in drive and go. If the AC was off when I turned off the Audi, it remains off when I start it next time. The Audi remains in the Drive Mode I set it to in the MMI. BMW could learn a thing or two from Audi how to set up the iDrive.

Oh, one other idiosyncracy, why on earth does BMW have a semi-automatic AC?! Why do I have to adjust the fan? All I should have to do is adjust the temperature and the system does the rest. But, no, I have to set the temperature and the fan speed! (If you haven't noticed, the GT is my first BMW )

OK, enough bitching.
In my E90, the fan speed adjusts automatically depending on the temperature I set with the knob. There is of course a separate button to adjust fan speed, but I don't have to adjust it too often. Did this change with the F generation cars?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0