View Single Post
      01-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #19
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVidale View Post
I'm sure this has been beaten to death in discussions, but why would one want loud, throbbing engine roar in the cabin? Sure the 4-cylinder engine sounds like a small chainsaw or lawn mower, but it is quiet. Quiet is better than loud, even if one is rocketing down the road. Even better still when the engine is off stopped at a traffic light. And not burning gas.

I just don't get the desire for a roar, especially if it requires specially porting, amplification, or especially artificial noise to generate.
Yeah, I don't get it either.

I've spent plenty of time at the track, and enjoy an uncorked S62 ripping a new hole in my chest as it rips by on the front straight as much as the next guy.

But for a street car, what's the point? Simply put, a 335 is damn near silent with stock exhaust, so it's silly to say it sounds better than a 328. If you want to mod the exhaust, you probably bought the wrong car -- for one, the turbo dampens the sound right off the bat, so you're not gonna hear that much anyway.

Personally, I've never modified a car or bike exhaust, though I did own a bike with a pre-installed aftermarket exhaust. It's fairly embarrassing to have something that screams "hey look at me!" like a pierced up 14 year old. I like to be able to rip around without drawing undue attention to myself. Some people just crave attention, I guess.

A modified intake is far better -- I owned a VR6 VW with an aftermarket intake (installed be a previous owner), and the fact that it has a nice growl under WOT, but is stock-sounding at cruising revs, is the perfect combination.

Loud exhausts are for HarleyLosers.
Appreciate 0