View Single Post
      11-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #40
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvoz View Post
I do not switch the car off until it has reached its correct temperature and has been driven for at least a minimum of 15 minutes. Once I notice that the engine has reached its correct temperature, I switch to sport mode and accelerate quickly to clean out the exhaust system thus sometimes noticing a cloud of haze / smoke in the rear view mirror. Has anyone else noticed this cloud of haze in the rear view mirror under heavy acceleration?
The problem as I see it, even when the engine is hot the exhaust system may not be fully dry anyway. It will depend to a degree on how hard the engine has worked during its running time as well.

I've driven my car 13 miles, and the exhaust is still virtually cold at the rear of the car, so not heated enough to dry and get rid of all the potential condensation that has accumulated inside.

So a blast will still tend to blow out residue, even after that sort of mileage. Factor in ambient temperature variations, humidity levels and driving mix and there isn't one simple answer. I've noted that on a cold day, (around 5C) with a bit of humidity... even after 26 miles I've noted there is still moisture in the tail pipes, idle a bit and it will show condensation.

For me I don't fuss about it, just drive as normal... but with Sophisto Grey it doesn't show, even if it does dump a bit of soot on the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0