View Single Post
      12-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Another option that would also keep warrant intact would be installing the M Performance springs.
The M Performance springs lower the ride height an additional 10mm from the stock sport/Msport springs.
Do you think BMW would approve the M Performance springs for the adaptive suspension?

I've a feeling BMW won't cover the change, can imagine the response will be something like "the adaptive package is designed to run on 'xxx' springs so any change will not be compatible".

Personally I find it hard to see how the variable damping will work with a much stiffer spring, OK will give some kind of ride/handling balance. But whether balanced to the damping parameters, that will be the test.

I've the 5-series with 3 mode settings, comfort, normal and sport. I sense with the stock springs that 'normal' gives the best damping/spring balance. Looking very critically at the damping, even though the other two settings work well, it is clear each is a compromise on damping the spring. Comfort when pushed, is giving that slightly underdamped feel, sport tends towards that over-damped, the over powering feel on a spring. Very subtle, but still there to sense.

It is really what we'd expect, as this is what happens with passive damping, when we play with damping rates on a given spring. But I do wonder when we change springs to a stiffer and shorter spring, how the variable function can adapt to the stiffer spring. In comfort mode, I sense the spring will overwhelm the damper setting, hence the comments of a "bit bouncy", the spring is not 100% controlled. Will the sport setting be enough damping for the new spring rate? That is what I'd be thinking. To me it is as if you'd want to turn up the damping rate parameters by xx% as well.

I suppose it depends on what you want, and what compromises you are willing to live with, but an experiment all the same.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0