01-28-2016, 01:41 AM   #7
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
All HR monitors that don't use a chest strap are inaccurate.

I used Sunnto HRMs for years but switched to Garmin a little while back and am happy for it. The Garmin soft strap is very comfortable.
Very true. Plus all the diagnostic data isn't accurate, they use baseline generic algorithm software to estimate output. Fail sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
It's the shape/type I don't get on with; being rather "triangular" (as most athletes are), they only stay up if they're so tight, I can hardly breathe. And the sensors just make me feel winded.
The latest Suunto HRM strap is a big step up from the old one (thinner, smallest sensor) but still doesn't "work" for me; a shame as the data is very useful.

Having had a Garmin, I wouldn't have another one of their GPS watches.
I am built like you and it does ride a bit, but I just let it settle and the back tends to ride low and the front high, but I still get accurate readings. For accurate measurements and data there isn't a better option for an athletic type of movement. Think of a pulse ox reader and the how a patient has to remain stable....

I use a Polar V800 and it's the best HR training device I've ever used and doesn't look like I'm some crossfit army junky with the cliche hockey puck watch. They are also releasing software for phone notifications so it will have a mall function of smartwatch capabilities. My favourite features are the swim metrics and infinitely programmable exercises and data sets on the screen. The GPS is super fast to boot up. Takes about 10-15 seconds in Texas.

I've read about a new arm-band sensor but I can't remember where. I know one of the things I didn't like was that the watch software was weak, I don't think anyone touches Polar, but Garmin comes close, though there watches are ugly. Suuntos offerings are great but I find that HR and fitness are the secondary functions of the watch.

I'd research the arm-band sensor. I also think I've read that the sensor can be programmed to another watch.....my apologies for being vague on the details. I'm extremely happy with my V800 so I kind of just sifted through the information I was reading without noting details.
Appreciate 0