View Single Post
      12-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #745
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

What would you call a tire shop, such as Tirerack HQ, that cannot figure out the most simplest task which is to match the circle on the tire to the valve stem? Brilliant? Brain surgeons? NOT! I had a conversation with an engineer from Michelin while at the BMW PC and he 100% agreed with me that 90% of tire shops ignore the obvious and most trained items.

See here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...hlight=claykin
Yes, that's called "match mounting", and using the dots is the "correct" starting point to mount and balanace.
The problem is nearly no tire shop nor it's employees bother to use match mounting as a good starting point. I would expect TireRacks installers to know better, but maybe it was a newer less experienced installer.
Yes, it should be basic tire installer knowledge and practice, but the real world can suck.

I didn't make any qualitative comments regarding the intelligence or ability of their employees nor am I defending them
As I stated, they've done a great job on my cars before, but this time it looks like too much weight.
I simply pointed out that the tire ship you called stupid is the TireRack.
They mount and balance a LOT of tires, so there is a lot of experience there.
My tires are balanced, there is no vibration at any speed.
Yes, there is a lot of weights on there, but they are balanced.

How much weight is too much?
TireRack rep says there isn't an industry standard. TireRack states, and uses, that no more than 1% of the wheel + tire weight be used.
I don't know the exact weight of the OEM 18" Msport wheel, but let's say it's 27lbs. The tire weighs a hefty 27lbs.
54lbs total = 864oz. 1% of 864oz = 8.64oz.
That would be the extreme limit. I don't know exactly, I have to check, but I don't think there is that much.
TireRack uses 1/4oz each weights, and they are made of steel not lead. Lead weights are denser so there is less visible weight when balancing. With steel weights it will look like more weight in comparison.
TireRack does use a Hunter Road Force balancing machine, the standard and best.
Using too much weight looks bad cosmetically, but as long as the balance is smooth and the car runs smooth, it's all good.

I'm going back to exchange these Bridgestones for a different set of tires.
This time I will be checking the install and balancing before leaving cause I don't like seeing that many weights on the wheel.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-08-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0