02-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
In my opinion you're going nowhere with this poll. Sorry to be so harsh. I'm the OP of the second thread you've linked and I've got some serious research experience on this topic due to my own issue.

This is not "one" issue that is the same for everyone, but several possible issues that all sound the same. It *may* be coming from the HUD, the HK, the screen, the air vents, the cowling, the heat shields, the radiator, the transmission, a broken dashboard brace weld, the cup cover, the sun visors, etc, etc. Yes I have seen people had their cars fixed and this is a short list of all the various issues that were found, and that triggered this exact same vibration for all of them. The reason it's around that RPM range is because it's when the engine vibrates the most. Believe it or not I have verified this with other car brands, 2,500 rpm is always when you get the acceleration rattles.

The truth is that vibrations all sound the same and are transmitted in mysterious ways. IF you can reproduce the noise on demand then it's an easy fix for your dealer. If not then you're in trouble, as I am. Because I can't get the car to do it on demand, the dealer can't pinpoint it.

It's definitely a noble effort to want to get BMW's attention on this but it's unlikely this will result in anything more than "call your dealer", since they know this can come from so many different sources.
If what you say is true, then BMW got it REALLY wrong with the F30 N55 builds, since I've never had this kind of issue with any other cars at any freaking rpm. I don't think I've seen a single video of an E90 N55 making this kind of sound.

And yes the car has many other different kinds of rattles. This one is the most concerning and does not sound like the others. This one sounds "metallic". A sun visor should not cause this kind of metallic rattle, but then if there are indeed multiple kinds of failures that are causing the same kind of metallic sound it is 1) the biggest coincidence & 2) Epic failure on BMW's part to have let so many different entities in the car cause horrible metallic rattles.
Appreciate 0