01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
An NHTSA recall is issued for safety reasons. This type of recall is 'mandatory' as it is a legal requirement for the company to comply.
NHTSA typically deals only with these, safety related, types of issues.
Wind noise is not a safety issue.

However, BMW can issue a voluntary recall, as they did with the high pressure fuel pump failures. When a company issues a widespread voluntary recall, they typically send out information to customers to set up an appointment.

For BMW to issue a voluntary recall for wind noise, the problem has to be widespread with a number of customer logged complaints.
So if you do have excessive wind noise, then get an appointment and make sure you're dealer PROPERLY explains the problem so that it is logged into the system.

I don't have excessive wind noise at the front of the cabin. However, there is a more than expected overall level of tire and road noise throughout the cabin, mainly emanating from the rear wheel wells. I'm thinking this is a result of BMW's weight loss program for the F30. Seems BMW may have lessened the amount of noise isolation material, and possibly are also using thinner glass all around that is letting more noise/sound get through.

I know some are saying to shut off the audio so that one can hear the noise better. I say turn the audio up so that you can fix the issue yourself while enjoying your favorite tunes.
My audio is always on when I drive.
I agree with you. The noise I can hear is does appear to be coming from the rear wheel wells.
I am in the UK & obviously have a right hand drive car, I have sat in all the other seats whilst my wife drives the car and I don't hear this noise. I only hear it when I drive the car & it starts at about 15 MPH !
I have Pirelli tyres, & I blame them. Maybe I shouldn't, maybe it is lack of sound insulation.
I wonder if later built cars have more insulation ?
Appreciate 0