bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
Honest question: why is it called a coupe if it has 4 full doors?

Why would they separate into the 3/4 series (sedan/coupe) and then make a 4 series 4 door almost immediately? Doesn't make sense.
It's called a coupe because somewhere along the line, the marketers got together with the bean counters and figured out that customers would pay more for a car with coupe in the name

Seriously though, I think the differences between this car and the F30 will be more apparent in person. The differences are subtle in photos, but IIRC, the 4GC is about 1.5" (around 40mm) shorter than the F30. That might not sound like much, but it will be noticeable in person.

The idea behind these "four door coupes" (barf!) is that they fill a gap in the line up. There are a segment of consumers who are slightly less practically oriented -- they'll give up a couple of inches of headroom -- and more aesthetically oriented. This car is designed to capture that buyer. There's also the matter of status. I guarantee you that BMW marketing for the 4GC will target status, even if the car itself isn't much more expensive than the F30. What matters is perception.

I'm not saying I approve of any of this, but this is how the game is played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
And so whats the difference between this car and the current f30? besides the boomerang...visually look exactly the same to me
There are definite differences. Have a look at the F30, F32 comparo thread. A couple of things that I think are going to be far more obvious in person:
  • The lower height
  • The larger fender flares
  • The wider front with more aggresive aero

I think when you look at these two cars next to each other in a showroom, the questions will fade away.

I definitely think that some people are still going to prefer the F30 though. The F30 follows more traditional 3-box-sedan styling cues, which is still a very handsome car.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0