View Single Post
      07-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #33
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavehm View Post
..sure, it's a technological feat, but if i wanted to go online or compute, i'd do it in the office or at a cafe, on my smart phone or iPad or laptop. I use my car to drive. This extra nonsense just adds more cost, weight, and creates more distractions from the original purpose of these vehicles. I know I'm sounding like "an old techno-hating old dude" but i just can't help feeling annoyed by these announcements.

....I'm not against navigation, but tell you the truth, this stuff (software and hardware) becomes obsolete so quickly that it would be better as a third party add-on feature rather than hard-coded by the manufacturer, imho at least....
It's all about making money, all about an app store for your car. This new Dragon Voice is a 30 day free trial, then you have to pay a monthly fee.

About the only thing I'd really, really want is Garmin's navigation OS up on the BMW LCD screen but they'll never let that happen as it'll be a $20 app with revenue to Garmin and a negative $1500 for what BMW charges for its stock system.

I could see some $15,000 starter kid car for the 18 year olds having this type of app availability and customization, but a $50,000 luxury car has an older audience that isn't this tech-savvy and isn't going to spend $1 on a clock because they won't be able to figure out how to download and install it.

It's like back in 2009 some engineer at BMW was ordered to "get on top of this phone app thing" and here years later they're launching it. Not too excited.

BJ
Appreciate 0