02-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
this is a boring cheap car that puts the starting price of a bmw 3er at 32k. these are the rental fleet cars enterprise uses at the dealership by me. Ive taken out their 328i's before this came out and this is nothing more than a more stripped down version of that (didnt know they could find away to take even more away). I cant believe manual seats are still on a bmw along with halogens. i couldnt imagine owning this as it feels cheaper than my e46 stripper i had. the engine is noisy and the plastic bits on the interior are cheap. you get more quality interior out of a chevy cruze. im sure many will disagree with me, but this car was only created to have a lower starting point in the US to compete with the c-class and audi a4. This has far less options than its competitors and is still overpriced. I'll definitely be skipping the f30 until at least the facelift. here's to fingers crossed on a 1er sedan with xdrive and the same engine but lighter.
I can see your point, but I had a 320i xDrive as a loaner a couple months ago and I was rather impressed. I thought the steering was crappy and when in Eco-Pro mode it was pretty brutal, but otherwise I thought it was a pretty solid, speedy for most, well done car. Yes, BMW cheaped out in some areas, but not overly brutal for most car buyers they are looking for in this segment. Sure, my 335 is a hell of a lot faster and seems to have better materials, but the 320i is still a pretty solid entry level effort for those needing 4 doors and you can put together a pretty solid package in the mid $30's...and with BMW's lease rates, drive out not giving away the farm. I do wish they had the M sport, however.

As for the 1er sedan, don't hold your breath. A good friend of mine is buddies with some high up people in NJ HQ and we talk BMW/cars on a daily basis and they don't see a need for a 1er sedan in the US. Could certainly change, but we were discussing the new M235 and the potential sedan version (1er) came up. Not looking good for that to ever come to our shores.