01-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #13
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
As someone who let go his 335i for a Tesla Model 3 last Oct, let me put the other side of this argument:

- Global warming is very real and its impact is increasingly hurting us. Efforts to limit CO2 production to date through the IPCC etc have been minimal. The world needs to do something. The risk of carrying on as we are are huge. Look to what's happening in Australia, glacial retreat across the globe, heatwaves in Europe last summer, melting permafrost, ...

- Particulate pollution in urban areas is a significant health problem. Studies published today show that air pollution accounts for about 1 in 16 deaths in towns in the south of England.

- Electric vehicles are way more efficient that ICE vehicles. ICE cars are about 18% efficient compared to about 75% for BEVs if you look at output achieved from raw materials. If we used the same arrow system that we use for appliances on cars, EVs would be class A+ with ICE vehicles down at F.

- Although the electricity for charging still has fossil fuel content, in many countries (UK included), the proportion of "green" generation is now quite high.

- EVs produce very little particulate pollution. The fossil fuel industry keeps pointing out that tyres and brakes produce particulates, but it's a fraction of what a typical diesel car will product.

- Building the charging infrastructure needed is certainly a cost, but it's probably the cheapest new infrastructure to put in place if we switch away from fossil fuels. In the UK there is a first rate electricity distribution system across the width and breadth of the country and the generators have repeatedly pointed out that they have no concerns about meeting the projected demands of a much bigger EV fleet.

- Electric cars are fun to drive, meet most people's needs, are easy to live with, and can do decent range. They are also pretty cheap to run, even if they are more expensive to buy than ICE cars.

Most of what you read about BEVs is probably wrong. The media is full of misinformation and FUD.

Now of course, I appreciate that BEV personal transport will only make a small difference to the bigger picture - but every little helps!
I assume you live in a house.
In the UK, EVs are not for people living in flats. The EV infrastucture is pathetic.
JustChris17545.50