02-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdss6 View Post
Dackelone and friends did an exceptional job documenting AutoWorld and the Porsche display, but thought the evolutionary row of 911s deserved even more detailed attention.

The 911 has never met everyone's needs, but I'm glad it exists, and that it has existed fairly true to concept for so many years. It is an interesting reflection on automotive history.

Thanks for your kind words and also for adding your pics of the evolution of the 911. I found it hard to capture those staggered 911's on display there. The entire exhibit was by far the BEST displays of Porsche's I have seen anywhere. The Porsche Museum pulled quite a few cars out of their museum for this Brussels show. I am very glad I was able to see this "special" Porsche collection.

Yes, the (old)car standing next to the 918 Concept was in fact the very first hybrid Porsche. It had RWD gasoline engine with FWD electric hubs. Ferdinand Porsche(Ferry's father) designed and built it. I also heard that it is now on display in the Porsche Museum in Zuffenhausen(Stuttgart).

What really blew me away about this show in Brussels was some of the cars on display I had never seen ANYWHERE. Like the KdF Beetle prototype, the Berlin to Rome rally car(I thought there were only three made and Porsche has a bare bones chassis on display at the P-Museum). I think it helps now that VAG owns everything and can pull resources from Audi Tradition and the VW Museum in Wolfsburg.

I know Porsche Classic has a new secret warehouse with some 650 cars in storage near Zuffenhausen. The Porsche Museum only holds about ~80 cars currently. That's much better than their old tiny museum(pre 2006) inside the old factory gates which had only 18 cars! In some ways the old museum was better. It was a more personal, pilgrimage to the Porsche Factory. But I do relish any chance I can visit the Porsche Museum. I have been lucky enough to visit many, many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

When does the Porsche exhibit end? I'll be in Germany late April and was thinking of visiting Spa and Brussels, I would love to check this out.

Also, what's up with the monastery in the small city? Might add it to my places to visit
Like @mdss6 posted, the Porsche display has ended. But the cool thing about the Brussels Autoworld is they are always changing the main displays there. Also next door is a really cool military museum(WWII) that I really need to go visit! Right now the Autoworld has a special display of VW Beetles. Every few months they feature a new brand. Thats cool.

While I was up North in the "flatlands" I also visited a few other cool museums. Look for them on the front page of Bimmerpost.com soon.

And for my ED tips and museum thread(s) just click on the link bellow my sig.
Appreciate 0