09-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
I know the DSG has had lots of software update, but imo you still feel more conencted with car....The DCT M3 i drove was a light year ahead of a slush box - no lag at all...in fact it was like driving a manual.

The other thing i am not too happy about is 8 gears. When you are in manual mode that's 2 more changes you have to make/think about compared to a 6 speed. the DCT has 7, but that last one is really not used unless you wont to go to jail
As I said, if you use the paddles the double clutch transmissions are a bit better. But in auto-mode, a real automatic gearbox like the 8-speed is superior. It is so much smother and all the DSG I've driven (and owned) has situations each and every time you drive it when the gearbox doesn't do what you tink/want (in auto). A bit like SMG II that was a PITA to drive in auto. So if you know you cruise most of the time in auto-mode I wouldn't buy a double clutch over a "real" automatic gearbox.

You don't have to use 7 and 8 on the 8-speed either. You can reach the limiter on gear 6 no problem.
Appreciate 0