United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
The HK amplifier is not a simple retrofit into a car that came with the HiFi amplifier. Harness and signaling are different so it's certainly not a plug and play option.

If you are just comparing amplifiers the Match 7BMW is superior. It's really two amplifiers in one. It's providing perfect power to the mods/tweeters, and much higher power to the underseat subwoofers. It's going to be louder and cleaner.

There's a lot of marketing thrown at BMW speakers, both Hifi and HK, claiming that they should be replaced. This is coming from retailers that want to sell expensive (mostly crap) speakers. Many guys install expensive aftermarket speakers and because they spent a lot of money, their brains tell their ears that the expensive speakers sound better. It's like a psychological placebo effect that the audio industry has been using to create sales for many decades.

The only BMW speakers that need to be replaced are the underseat subs, either HiFi or HK, with the Earthquake SWS-8Xi (2-ohm). Read the many posts by Billfitz about speakers and their specs. Bill's career has been spent designing speakers. The specs don't lie.

First install the Match 7BMW amplifier along with the Earthquakes and you'll be amazed how great your stock speakers sound.

Second, at that point you can also add a tweeter under your center channel dashboard grill. The bracket should already be there. And you can add tweeters in the rear doors. I would just get new or used HK tweeters for those three spots because you know they will sound great with the existing stock speakers.

I don't think I've heard of someone doing those things and then thinking that they need to spend more money on aftermarket speakers.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for a detailed answer! The last question, i can choose between Match 7BMW and HK retrofit, both priced very closely, what should you pick Match or HK? don't take into account labor, i know that to retrofit HK it takes time and coding, etc, but this part i can do myself, have all the tools needed, just cannot decide which path should i take
No comparison, I'd get the Match 7BMW over the HK amplifier every day of the week. I've already posted detailed reasons why.
Appreciate 2