View Single Post
      12-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Sprocket
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328i

Headlight washing frequency?!

I and my father both live in Sweden and have recently picked up an F31 and F30 respectively.

We are having problems with the frequency of the headlight washers activating. They tend to activate very seldom, causing lack of light when you really need it.

Our winters are generally quite snowy and when the temperature fluctuates around -3C -> 0C the roads get pretty slushy and dirty. Imagine driving along on a dark and wintery road, unable to wash your headlights?

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Have you managed to resolve it in any way?

According to BMW, there is a formula dictating when the headlight washers should be activated. So it's not every time you use the washers, nor is it every Xth time. It's something like if enough time has passed and a threshold value of activations has been passed, and you are driving at certain speed - THEN the washers will activate. All according to BMW.

So basically you can't decide when you need clean headlights. The car decides that for you whether you like it or not. Maybe not a big problem in Germany, but in Scandinavia (and all other snowy / dark regions) it is.

Thoughts?