View Single Post
      10-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitz99 View Post
Thanks a lot, James! This is very helpful advice. Looking forward to getting in my car tonight and setting this up. Shortcut to the iPhone music will make things much easier. I still haven't figured out the best way to organize my music in a way that makes it easier to search using idrive. I've heard some folks talk about using playlists which I never really used before so maybe I'll try that. Does anyone here have any thoughts on this?
Playlists are where it's at, start making a bunch of them.

While I have every Beatles song ever recorded on my iPhone in my car, it's my 6 Beatles playlists I listen to, I never drill down through menus to Albums in iDrive. Examples:

Best of the Beatles (Early Years)
Best of the Beatles (Later Years)
Best of the Beatles (Solo)
Psychedelic Beatles
Beatles - White Album
Beatles - Abbey Road

These Playlists cover my Beatles nut for me. All the bad songs on the albums are gone, every cut that plays is a personal fave, they display in one-click in iDrive. Note that I have two complete albums as Playlists, again just easier to access them that way.

Note that an iTunes Playlist does not "double-up" your songs on your iPhone. Playlists are just shortcuts to the songs. So I can have "Hey Jude" on six different Playlists, but the song file only appears once on the iPhone, isn't hogging space.

Think of a Playlist as the old mix tape from your youth. I have about 100 of them. To get started, try this:

Create a Playlist called "High School Mix". Pick your 10 favorite groups. Pick the 5 best songs from each. Drag them into the Playlist folder. Hit Shuffle. Wham, you've now got your 50 favorite tracks from high school, shuffling away randomly for the next 4 hours.

"College Mix", "Best Of The Who", "Dance Tracks", "Summer 1982" you get the idea.

BJ
Appreciate 0