10-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
Love the insights here and agree on most if not all the points about QC and factoring the charging. Really surprised I got this level of logic from a forum that has nothing to do with the specific car. As someone else implied, I already have a first day reserve so assuming delivery is early next year. I live by a lot of supercharges that have a flat fee of 20c for now, and the model i was most likely getting is the 50kWH rated at 220 miles so that should be cheaper in charge factors... i assume.

Its funny to me that no one here actually much cares about the mechanical, esthetic or performance differences between a 4 series and model 3. Which is sort of positive and making me think more practical and maturely.

I will admit that the tax incentives and eventual auto pilot (lol sadly just for parking in Los Angeles) are a big reason for me to consider it even with initial QC issues. I do agree that the model 3 buyers might ironically be more picky about little details and to be fair i notice gaps and misalignments on everything. (My 435 exhausts have one tip higher by 1mm and i saw it from the start.) The model 3 is a cheaper car so I know it won't be the same but I can't afford an S either as that's 20k more than the most expensive 4. I guess I am thinking of the Model 3 as a nicer RWD Prius like car to not get my hopes up too much.

If i do get a model 3, the only addition to base id get is the premium package and maybe a color. I'm still curious if anyone would keep their current cars over it or get something different all together.

Outside of buying out or buying something around 40k, I am reluctant to get another car with such a high lease payment as the 435- and that was a great deal considering its 62k msrp.
We assume you already know the 4 looks better, is better (ICE for the win!), and is probably faster.