View Single Post
      10-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #118
STLBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 & 2015 i8

Tips for BimmerTech OEM Retrofit backup camera without PDC

Alright, so after the install a couple tips for anyone out there doing the BMW Retrofit OEM Integration camera for cars without PDC. I installed it on my 2013 335i.

Tip 1: Make sure that you run the camera wire through the smaller hole behind the handle. This is the opposite hole from where you'll run the wire for the electronic trunk button. Mine was run behind the big hole and after snapping everything in, I could tell that something was off. I pried the handle off, and three of the Bimmertech clips in the process . The wire for the camera was also frayed and the rubber sheathe cut from the pressure. I patched it, re-routed the wire, put some super-adhesive behind the handle, and will pray it stays.

Tip 2:
The newest version of the BimmerTech camera is WAY easier than the former versions. For the non-PDC version, there is no wire splicing. They do not, however, have step by step instructions for how to do the install, but just a couple of PDFs with trim instructions.

Tip 3:
USE the video posted earlier in this thread for taking apart the dash, super easy and can be done in 15 minutes!

Tip 4:
Make sure you switch the fiber optic cable and put it in the furthest plug out (I actually got this one right)

Tip 5:
Get the trim tools, if you don't already have them, they make the job much easier and you'll do less damage than with a flat-head and a credit card

Tip 6:
The clips on the 30 are fairly durable, so you don't have to worry much about the door trip breaking.

Tip 7:
I WISH I HAD THIS ONE. I was stupid and didn't protect my shift area trim. My glossy black is now...scratchy black. Put a microfiber towel or something over it before you take out the CIC. If anyone knows of a salvage car, or a cheap place to get new trim, I'm in the market

Tip 8,
When you put the door trim back on, pop the white clips beneath the trip all the way out, and slide them back on to the trim. Then pop all four back in together rather than sliding the trim over them.

Tip 9:
When putting the trunk trim back on, put the emergency pull handle on first.

Call me N00B, but I'd rather be a public N00B and let you learn from my mistakes than for you to make them too.

Overall, I'm very happy with the install and the company. Their staff coded my car for me at 8pm his time on a Saturday...that's service!

Last but not least, if you're in San Diego or LA and need to do this install, I could do it in 2 hours flat next time around and now know how to do it correctly. PM me with questions or for a meet up.

Thanks @Patrys

-Daniel

Last edited by STLBimmer; 10-24-2015 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0