08-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #90
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Now nobody can argue about the looks, however, it's not a pretty car from what we've seen so far. But that's aesthetics. If people dont' like it, they won't buy it. Having said that, the Porsche Cayenne is probably the ugliest car ever made and people still bought plenty of them. If the shoe fits, people will wear it.
Ha, I'd include the Panamera in there too, which is oddly, a hatch.

The packaging of a rwd hatch will always be compromised when compared to a fwd hatch. I understand that BMW wants to sell more cars, and I think the next round of fwd cars will allow them to do this better than this pass of handicapped rwd cars forced to do mommy duty. The simple fact is that a smaller, lighter GTI/Golf is a better package for most buyers than an F20, largely due to the packaging of the car, nevermind which is more fun to drive or will do a proper power slide.

My real lament at the sight of this car, and many of the other recent BMW's is simply that as BMW grows from a mid size manufacturer focused on fun rwd cars, to being a huge company that builds a little of everything, their core product has lost some of it's former sharp edges. But I'm also a weirdo who still prefers the E36 to the E46 and largely ignored the E90 and is actively waiting for an F2x sedan or wagon (but would love a poorly packaged 5 door hatch).
Appreciate 0