12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #41
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenit2 View Post

This is by far the best post on this thread so far. I just picked up a 335i Msport xdrive in EB2 with all the options. This will be my daily driver - I will get groceries in it, take people to the opera in it, take vacations in it. I live on the west coast of Canada which is very rainy in the winter. That is one of the reasons I wanted xdrive. I have a friend with a Shelby Mustang GT350 that pumps out 650 HP. He would beat me up in any sort of a track competition. It rumbles, shakes rattle and rolls and sucks up a tank of gas in a heartbeat. Fun! Certainly! But it isn't his daily driver. Couldn't live with it. And driving it when the traction isn't ideal is scary.

The 335i is a car that can be tracked. But that isn't its main purpose. If you want a track car there are better machines out there. That's why these comparo tests are kind of pointless! How about putting a DTM BMW out there, a purpose built race car and then the BMW would come out on top.

In other words, if track times are all that important, buy a race car
Very true and also a very good post indeed.

I must say though that I think if I could do it over again I would have chosen the 328i since I've been seeing everyone's great gas mileage on the MPG tracking thread. That's the most balanced vehicle in my opinion. I'm curious as to how close of a time it would have gotten on that track.
Appreciate 0