View Single Post
      03-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #196
sfiermon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by des16 View Post
I share the general frustration that is being expressed about the prices of the F31. But, many in this thread sound indignent and surprised by BMWs pricing strategy. There are two important considerations. First, the F31 is priced exactly was where one would expect based on the F30. My configured M-Sport with Premium, Tech, HK, Cold Weather and Lighting is 54,320, compared to $52,520 for the sedan. This price premium is in line with that paid in Europe and other markets, and similar to that for the E90. So, if you want to complain about the price of a well-equipped 3 series, fine, but don't single out the wagon. Second, is the matter of comparables. The only real alternative in the market today is the Allroad. If you spec out that car, and add $2000 for the value of the 4 year service, the BMW is certainly competitive, especially when you consider that BMW dealers are more likely to discount off MSRP. Of course, you can start making comparisons to SUVs, but, I think that is like apples and oranges. Indeed, mid-size SUVs are priced more aggressively. This is to be expected given that every US, Japanese, Korean, European and soon to be Chinese has a good product in this category. It is their bread and butter, and the competition is fierce. But there is reason many of us will pay the premium for a F31 over a SUV: quality, utility, and we love to drive cars, not pilot a crossover or truck. So, if you want to blame someone for the fact that we are paying the price for our tastes, blame the consumer who does not share our preference, not the manufacturer who is simply responding to the revealed tastes in market place.
Awesome post!! I am first in line when an allocation comes in for my F31. Ordering all packages except Drivers Assistance Plus. The only thing that is scaring me is the July tech change. Have NO idea what this is and thinking about waiting until June/July to order.
Appreciate 0