View Single Post
      09-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #511
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Hmmm, so the noise went up but the ride quality still increased ?

Do you feel less bumps now with the lighter wheels and non RFT tires? I'm seriously debating replacing my OEM 396 wheels with EC-7, but I'm on the verge of finding the ride uncomfortable with the M Perf suspension. I don't want to add lighter wheels and make the ride more bumpy. (I'll be replacing the OEM A/S pirelli RFTs with Michellin Pilot A/S 3 when they are out next month)
Yes, road noise up but ride quality increased. I'm mainly talking about road noise when hard braking. That's kinda my gauge. I don't think there's a direct relationship between ride quality and road noise. That's why when tires are evaluated by press they are separate.

I can't speak to OE wheels w/o RFT's. I can say for sure that when I went from OE to light wheels w/non-RFT the cringe factor definitely went down. There's a small bridge on a highway that I kinda use as my gauge. When I first got the suspension I'd cringe because I knew it was going to be harsh. After the wheel/tire change it's definitely not as jarring. I'm not sure if it's the wheels or tires or both that caused the change.

As for stock suspension/wheel setup vs. my current setup. It's really only marginally rougher. I wouldn't think twice about it. Had the wheels/tires not made my ride better I might consider rolling back the suspension and look for alternatives. Mainly because I have a 1 & 2 y/o that ride in the back.

Aside from the ride quality, there is also merit to going to lightweight wheels. It made a huge difference I wasn't expecting. Way more nimble and responsive to inputs. I was happily surprised.
Appreciate 0