View Single Post
      07-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
whoever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 528 xi

I thought 328i8AT is exact 50/50. Hard to beat that, huh?

Personally I wouldn't trust more gadget with BMW reliability record. Less is more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
Wicked fast.

Yes, it's 300 lbs. heavier than a 335i, BUT it's got 35HP more, the instant torque of the electric motor means more snappy throttle response, AND it has the best weight distribution of any 3 series (or 1 series or 5 series, for that matter). The weight distribution is 49.7% front and 50.3% rear, so it's just ever so slightly less than 50/50 and the 0.3% is in back instead of in front, which should make for an even more precise drive. By comparison, the 335i is 51.5% front and 48.5% rear. The 328i is 49.4% front and 50.6% rear and everyone has been commenting about how much more nimble the 328i seems over the 335i in the corners just because of that slightly better weight distribution. So the ActiveHybrid 3 should be even more impressive in the corners than the 328i because it's got an ever so slightly better weight distribution. And, I think the added weight of the battery so low to the ground in the back on top of the rear axle will help hold it to the ground even more.

Should be an impressive drive and I wouldn't be surprised if it bests both the 335i and 328i for those reasons. And, of course, better fuel economy and an electric-only mode up to 2.5 miles. So when I go out to pickup food from restaurants close-by (just about every restaurant I eat from on a daily basis is within a mile of my house), I can drive 100% in electric mode and not even start the engine.
Appreciate 0