View Single Post
      07-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I think mine is a bad example because I didn't keep it long enough, but my S5 did not hold its value the way I thought it should. They were (maybe still are) a somewhat limited production car, and I got more from Mercedes on a trade than Audi was willing to give me, and I lost a little on a car I should have at the very least broke even on. 65k including tax and after about 14 months and 16k miles, I had to fight for $48,500 on a trade in. This was an '09. When I first ordered it, people were getting MSRP for used '08's and dealers were adding 5k to the sticker, if they actually had any in inventory (usually only because someone cancelled an order). By the time my 8 month wait was up, the economy was in the toilet and they weren't quite as scarce, but still far less available than most cars.

I put too many miles on it and didn't keep it long enough, but I'm still pissed it didn't hold better value, and that was why I downgraded to a C300 instead of stepping more sideways to an S4. No way I was handing Audi 4 grand to take my S5 away, then another 4 to start the S4 lease.
Appreciate 0