02-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayaz View Post
I have a quick question, but i may just get around to trying it later and let you all know.

I was going to buy a 64gb thumbdrive to plug into the armrest (my 32gb just isn't enough!), but then thought, hang on, a 500gb portable drive is the same kind of money so will one of them work in the armrest port?

I know they are powered by the USB so that may be an issue, but does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks
I just tested my WD external HDD in the armrest USB port and it works fine.

But...

I don't use it because it's still spinning media and I worry about a sudden jolt crashing the HDD heads. I don't think these drives are designed to be jostled all that much. If you really need more than 64GB and need a HDD, then I'd put it on some foam or something to reduce the likelihood of a shock crashing the heads.

Another note is that if you go to a 64GB USB stick, then it will likely be formatted as exFAT32 which the car does not currently recognize.

Most 64GB sticks cannot be formatted as normal FAT32 because they do not support variable sector/cluster sizes. You will need to format the 64GB memory stick as NTFS. The car does read NTFS disks. Both my 64GB stick and my USB HDD are formatted as NTFS.
Appreciate 0