United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdDuran View Post
I have a 2014 328xd and recently went in for a 20,000 mile service .. aka, oil/filter change and wipers. When I got home I checked the iDrive maintenance screen and it was saying brakes were due at 50,000. Wish I had checked BEFORE going to the dealers, as the last time I looked I thought the front were around 25k and the rears around 40k. I was wondering if they tweaked the system

I also asked about software updates; its been two years and they've never done any. But they wouldn't do it unless there was an issue. After I was thinking about what I've read about the steering feel improvement from the software updates. I have coded a few things (windows up with remote, mirrors closing when locked) and read too that BMW could void your warranty for doing this.
You read wrong - BMW cannot "void your warranty" for custom coding. I've had custom coding on my last 4 BMWs with zero problems from the 3 dealerships I've used. Now, if the motors in your folding mirrors give out and you're still under warranty, they might give you a hard time about replacing them under warranty - but, it's a feature that's in the car that you activated - you did not create any new code/feature. Your reply if they challenged you is "why did BMW include that feature if it could wear out a component?". If, on the other hand, you somehow were able to insert new code to do something not originally included in the car's software, that's a completely different situation, but they could still only deny warranty claims on any component affected by the non-original code.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0