Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Post Motor Trend: 335i xDrive reviewed versus S4, ATS, IS350, S60

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
FULL REVIEW: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

5th Place: Volvo S60
While safe and competent, the Volvo failed to get anyone's pulse racing. The competition remains extremely strong and a refresh is coming soon.

4th Place: Cadillac ATS
Without question, the best driving car here, but last or near last in every other category. Cadillac has a great starting point, but it needs to finish the job.

3rd Place: Lexus IS 350
A solid value and welcome refresh. We'd love to see an F Sport with AWD, but Lexus doesn't build it. Also, the front of this car is too homely for it to place any higher.

2nd Place: Audi S4
Muscular, brutish, and confidence-inspiring, the S4 is let down by its age and a slightly underwhelming driving experience. Still, what an impressive athlete.

1st Place: BMW 335i xdrive
Featuring the best combination of everything, the latest 3 Series just doesn't have any glaring flaws. It's still the master of the segment it created.

Name:  2013-2014-Luxury-Sports-Sedan-q-quarter-mile-breaking.jpg
Views: 36080
Size:  60.0 KB

Conclusion:

This was a remarkably difficult decision to make, as all the contenders are good cars. Somehow, and I'm not totally sure how, the Volvo sank like a rock to the bottom. Is it bad? Not at all, but aside from safety it stood out in no single area.

The Cadillac outshone everyone else in one single category: Ride and handling. In terms of smiles produced and fun to drive, no other car was even close. But as right as Cadillac got the ATS' chassis, it dropped the ball elsewhere, especially in CUE.

The Audi, while faster than it needs to be, is starting to feel a bit long in the tooth. We've seen the interior; we're getting bored with the styling; and we're totally indifferent at this point to its numb steering and FWD bias. As Angus MacKenzie often states, RWD is the proper way to build a car.

Despite how bone-deep ugly it is on the outside, the little Lexus surprised us all. From its handsome and comfortable interior to its better-than-expected handling to its value and low cost of ownership, the IS 350 was full of surprises. All that said, bring on the F Sport.

This leaves the BMW and its combination of luxury, comfort, and curb appeal. There's a reason every other car in the segment is measured against the 3 Series. Even with AWD, it remains the benchmark.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0