01-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmel View Post
I'll settle for it if I have to. I just feel that a certain portion of how I justify the price tag of my BMW was "German built". I think that everyone respects the German workers ability to produce a quality product and I am willing to pay for that. I can't justify paying that premium price tag for a car built in Africa. I would sooner have one assembled in Mexico or Canada with a matching price tag.

I hope that the SA build vehicles will maintain the reliability and quality that I have come to know, but I am not blind to the reality of it. I know how product outsourcing affected american automobiles in the late 80s and 90s and it wasn't for the better. Perhaps this will be my last BMW?
Having toured three BMW factories, I can tell you that they are all the same, from an assembly standpoint. Same robots, same procedures, etc. Yep, the workers speak difference languages.

BMW has been building cars in that South Africa plant for 40 years.

I've ordered two brand new BMWs, one from the Munich plant, one from Regensburg. From "initial quality" standpoint, the Munich plant seems to be a bit better (gaps, paint) than the one from Regensburg.
Appreciate 0