View Single Post
      03-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #90
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
No, N55s are not limited because of mods as similar FBO mods ala the N54 are all available (stg 2 tune; E85/race gas, DP, IC, Meth, etc.), and for all its tech (valvetronic, etc.) the N55 turbo is still supremely flow limited, as proven by tuners, and full FBO N55s are still struggling to make close to 400whp while comparably tuned N54s are miles ahead (obviously with more tuning R&D time) nearing or crossing the 500whp mark...for those looking to get that extreme. Don't even talk about comparing the top end of the N54 as it easily crushes the N55 in that respect.

I'm thinking it will take a next gen N55 or new powerplant to really up the ante for BMW and tuners. In the meantime, you can probably outrun an M3 in a straight line with an N55 with FBOs but I'd rather tune for balance and beat one on a road course. After all, if I wanted an outright drag monster I'd go american or AMG? otherwise, the car is still fun, fast, and the mileage puts a smile on my face
N54 has about a 60 to 70 rwhp advantage over a N55. Now with RB turbos all bets are off but with an N55 turbo upgrade around the corner things will change.
Appreciate 0