03-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Actually it sort of happened to me, but you could be right about the frequency of it occurring.

I was sitting at an intersection at a red light. The perpendicular lanes were green, but then turned amber. At that point a car came flying down the road and tried to make the amber, just as a truck started making a left turn. The car slammed on the brakes, swerved to avoid but slammed into the truck's side at an angle. He bounced off and careened into the front of my car, stopped at the red. It was all over in about 3 seconds.

From the sound of his tires I could tell he tried braking during the avoidance, but not after the first impact. Probably too stunned, or something. Some kind of automated braking might have helped in this situation, although I suppose I don't know whether the BMW braking would have intervened in this particular scenario.
In this scenario, as I understand it from your description, I don't think that the BMW system would have helped very much at all. I think the BMW system is most effective for vehicles/objects that it has been tracking for a little time (a vehicle in front of it that has slowed down). Since this particular situation involved the car accelerating to beat the yellow light, and the truck only coming into its line-of-sight at the last moment, I don't think that the BMW system would have known to apply the brakes any sooner. Since the system doesn't affect the steering angle, an impact would have probably been unavoidable.